Re: @ref without page numbers

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: @ref without page numbers
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 21:05:29 +0100

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 09:18:12PM +0200, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> I could not follow it very well.
>
> My problem occurs in pdf output.  How is the page number important, is there
> notion
> of page number in other formats, not just only on pdf?  How are links and
> page numbers
> related?  Can one do anything for the pdf case only?

If the manual is printed on paper, the page number is needed for the
reader to look up the cross-reference.

This issue has been discussed in the past:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-texinfo/2016-11/msg00029.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-texinfo/2016-11/msg00036.html

(BTW the discussion containing that message goes into a lot of other
extraneous matters - please try and keep discussion germane to the
issue at hand.)