Re: Displaying images for html output

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: Displaying images for html output
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 04:33:12 +0100

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 05:30:49PM +0000, Gavin Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 06:14:33PM +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > > Also, what if the image files are out-of-date?
> >
> > I think that we should not care about that case. As long as the file
> > exists, even if, for instance it is a broken link, we do nothing.
>
> What's the rationale for this?  Why not check the file modification
> time and copy it if the file is newer than the file that is there
> already?

The idea is to do as least as possible to avoid
* running into cross platform issues.  For instance looking at file
  modification time, is it portable?  Does it make sense for every
  file system?
* doing something the user would not want, for instance if the user
  wants to substitute the file found by texi2any by another, or use
  dangling symlinks.

> I imagine there could be a problem where someone edits the text of the
> manual and edits an image file with a diagram, runs texi2any, and expects
> the manual to be fully updated.

That's a risk too, but I am not sure that it weights more than the two
above.

--
Pat