Re: automatic generation of @menu entries

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: automatic generation of @menu entries
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 11:44:15 +0300

> Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 03:38:24 -0400
> From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org>
> Cc: help-texinfo@gnu.org
>
> > Not the answer you expected, but Emacs has a command that creates the
> > menus for you.
>
> i saw mention of that shortcut in the manual, but as you can imagine, that's
> not terribly interesting to me.  i don't use emacs, and i'm not expecting
> everyone else who helps maintain texinfo sources to use emacs.
>
> but if there's an emacs shortcut to autogenerate/update, it implies that
> making an actual texinfo command to do it isn't unreasonable ?

It's just something that needs to be (re)implemented in a different
PL.  Also, it needs to be generated before the nodes are validated,
since the menu is used for that, and it needs to be fast enough.  It
would also mean the produced menu items will lack the short
descriptions, which are produced by a human typing them in Texinfo.

Eventually, it's up to Gavin, I guess.