hurd-devel

pthreads

From: Neal H. Walfield
Subject: pthreads
Date: 27 Jul 2002 13:54:08 +0200

I have a basic implementation of pthread running on top of L4 and the
as of yet incomplete Hurd personality based on the code furnished by
Mark several years ago.  A few questions before I proceed father.

Roland, you once said that you wanted a complete rewrite of the Hurd
signal code currently in glibc.  Could you share the design with me
and whether you think I should implement that or just port the current
code in glibc for now?

As is quite obvious, the Hurd uses cthreads.  Should I try to maintain
a cthreads compatibility layer in my pthread implementation (this is
the way that Mark was leaning)?  An alternative would be to just
convert the current code to use pthread unconditionally.  If we did
this, would it be better to provide a simple pthreads layer on top of
cthreads or to just ignore the incompatibility?

Thanks.