ifile-discuss

[Ifile-discuss] How much does reindexing a message affect filtering?

From: Booker Bense
Subject: [Ifile-discuss] How much does reindexing a message affect filtering?
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:38:31 -0800 (PST)

- I've been using ifile for a couple monthes now and I'm finding
it pretty useful. I use it as part of a larger filtering program
and use ifile as the "filter of last resort". My filter script
has been automatically adding the incoming message to the folder
that ifile suggests. However, there are a inconvient number of
false positives. My email client of choice (pine[1]) doesn't
integrate well with ifile[2]. I have a script that builds the
.idata file from my existing mailfolder setup. I'm thinking
of switching to something like this.

run filter ( don't autoindex )
pine ( possible resorting messages )
run auto_indexer

- The advantage of this is that it adds messages to the
index when they are in what I currently believe to
be the right folder[3]. The disadvantage is that a specific
message may be added to the index many times[4]. Does any
one have any advices on what effect this may have on
ifile's efficiency? If it's a really bad idea I can
code around it.

- Booker C. Bense

[1]- Yes, I know... but it's too late the pine command keys are
burned into my fingers.

[2]- I really, really don't want to hack on pine. Nice outside
horrible awful insides...

[3]- I recently started a new job, so my idea of the "right
folder" keeps changing.

[4]- I use mbox format. Yes I know it's really stupid in many
ways...