Re: stored mail differs from the sent

From: Jesper Harder
Subject: Re: stored mail differs from the sent
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 04:45:12 +0200

Thomas Persson <thomas@spacecentre.se> writes:

> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>
>> The archived message is not corrupt.  It verifies correctly for me in
>> Gnus 5.10.
>
> I tried the same procedure of signing and sending a mail to myself but
> this time with an email account where the MTA didn't convert the
> content-transfer-encoding from quoted-printable to 8bit and this time
> neither the archived nor the received mail verified correctly.

This is probably a bug in Mailcrypt as your previous QP example
verified for me.

> I have done some research and my working theory is that digitally
> signed messages cannot be quoted-printable. Is this correct?

Yes and no.  If your message includes 8bit characters you shouldn't
really be using old-style inline PGP in the first place.  However, if
you do, the message should be QP encoded.

The right thing for messages with non-ASCII characters is to use
PGP/MIME which works reliably in this case.

> What I have to do then is to make sure that emacs sets the
> content-transfer-encoding to 8bit whenever I send a digitally signed
> message. There is a variable called
> `mm-content-transfer-encoding-defaults' but I feel that I do not
> enough about this yet.

That is the wrong approach.  As I suggested previously you should
rather upgrade to Gnus 5.10 (and use PGP/MIME).  If you really *must*
use inline PGP in combination with 8bit, then this works in 5.10 as
well.

--
Jesper Harder                                <http://purl.org/harder/>