Re: Why expiry of drafts?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Why expiry of drafts?
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:35:08 +0200

Adrian Lanz <lanz@fowi.ethz.ch> writes:

> The funny thing is (besides that I do not see why a draft - in the
> intermediate draft state - is expired at all!), that the expiry target
> is correctly evaluated from my nnmail-fancy-expiry-targets variable
> (in the example above it resolves to "wsl-2004"), but that the
> destination "/home/lanz/mail/gnus" seems to be derived from some
> "general value" of nnml-directory. Usually my mail messages are
> expired to the nnml-directory "/home/lanz/mail/gnus/expired/" as
> configured in variable gnus-secondary-select-methods. The relevant
> parts of my configuration are:

You didn't say what's your expiry-target configuration ;-)

I'm not sure if it is possible to specify fully qualified group names
in nnmail-fancy-expiry-targets.  (Looks.)  It seems to be possible.
But there is no obvious place to put server-specific configuration.
Hm.  Is it possible to add nnmail-fancy-expiry-targets as a server
parameter?  Does anyone know?

>   (setq gnus-home-directory "/home/lanz/mail/gnus/")
>   (setq gnus-directory gnus-home-directory)
>   (setq message-directory gnus-home-directory)
>   (setq message-auto-save-directory (concat message-directory "drafts"))
>   (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>               '(
>                 (nnfolder "mail"
>                   (nnfolder-get-new-mail t)
>                     (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry nil))
>                 (nnml "expired"
>                       (nnml-directory "/home/lanz/mail/gnus/expired/")
>                 (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
>                 (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t))))
>   (setq nnmail-expiry-wait-function
>       (lambda (group)
>         (cond ((string= group "spam.mail")
>                5)
>               (t
>                30))))
>   (setq gnus-total-expirable-newsgroups "nnfolder\\+mail:.*")
>
> So if ever expiring of messages happens, it should be only in
> "nnfolder\\+mail:.*" groups (definitively not in the "nndraft:drafts"
> group), after 5 (spam) or 30 days (not immediately as it seems to be
> the case for drafts) and into a subdirectory of
> "/home/lanz/mail/gnus/expired/" (not "/home/lanz/mail/gnus/" as for
> drafts).

No, no, no.  Total-expire means that Gnus considers read articles
(marks r, R, K, Y and so on) to be expirable, in addition to the
articles explicitly marked as expirable (mark E).

If you mark a message as expirable, using the E key (not e), then it
will be expirable in any group.  You can set nnchoke-inhibit-expiry,
and you can tweak expiry-wait, but you didn't do any of those for
nndraft:drafts.