Re: nnimap, expiry-wait, and total-expire

From: Roland Roberts
Subject: Re: nnimap, expiry-wait, and total-expire
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 15:13:01 -0400

    kg> Roland Roberts <roland@astrofoto.org> writes:

    >> With nnml for my backend, I used to always have use
    >> gnus-total-expirable-newsgroups with various settings of
    >> expiry-wait to automatically expire my email lists.  With
    >> nnimap, I was trying to do the equivalent with total-expire and
    >> expiry-wait set via group parameters.  It was not behaving as I
    >> was expecting; namely, all groups with total-expire set were
    >> having all their articles expire in 7 days.  Groups without the
    >> setting were doing nothing (as expected).  This is Gnus 5.9.

    kg> This sounds like a bug.  A lot of things have happened in
    kg> nnimap so maybe the bug has been fixed in Gnus 5.10.  However,
    kg> I don't recall somebody having talked about this specific
    kg> problem.  OTOH, I don't remember everything that has been
    kg> talked about ;-)

Four1 days ago, I downloaded 5.10 and installed it in my private area.
I then went and modified my group parameters to turn on total-expire
again.  Here is an example from one of my group parameter settings.

    ((uidvalidity . "1069690233")
     (total-expire t)
     (expiry-wait 93))

Prior to this, I had turned off total-expire since it was clear the
messages were being expired after only 7 days, and I had subsequently
accumulated a bit more history.

I just checked today and discovered that I am back to having only 7
days of history in this file.  I entered the group (C-u RET RET),
turned off threading, sorted by date, then selected the first article
to check it's headers.  Sure enough, it was April 30th :-(

So, what else do I need to be looking at?  I've gone through my
.gnus.el and have no expiry settings in there at all (okay, I have
gnus-score-expiry-days, but that has nothing to do with this and
besides it is set to 28).

roland
- - --
                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD