Re: ISP changed News Server

From: Andrew Cowper
Subject: Re: ISP changed News Server
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 20:48:28 +0100

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Fri, May 28 2004, Andrew Cowper wrote:
>
>> In their wisdom my ISP upgraded its NNTP server and didn't tell me.
> [...]
>> But the question is - What should I have done?
>
> Doesn't the manual help?
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Changing Servers") ]

Yes, that would have helped. The problem was that they ran the new
server in parallel for a bit, and then switched the DNS without any
warning - so all of a sudden every article I tried to read was expired
or cancelled. This made me nervous :)

That was when I guess I should have done
M-x gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups
as it says on that info page.

Instead I tried various combinations of u and C-k. Any ideas on why I
got duplicate versions of groups? I should have studied this page as
well:

(info "(gnus)Group Levels")

Thanks for the pointer.

Andrew Cowper