Re: finding large mails

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: finding large mails
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:39:14 -0000

On Tue, Jun 08 2004, Stefano Ghirlanda wrote:

> I would like to know whether there is a way of finding large
> articles, since I need to clean up some space on the imap
> server. Even an indirect way would be ok, like displaying the
> article size in the summary buffer or something like that.

You can display the size using the `c' or `k' format specifier in
`gnus-summary-line-format':

,----[ (info "(gnus)Summary Buffer Lines") ]
| `c'
|      Number of characters in the article.  This specifier is not
|      supported in some methods (like nnfolder).
|
| `k'
|      Pretty-printed version of the number of characters in the article;
|      for example, `1.2k' or `0.4M'.
`----

Additionally, you probably want to sort the articles by size by
including `gnus-article-sort-by-chars' in `gnus-article-sort-functions'.
See (info "(gnus)Sorting the Summary Buffer").

If you want to do this for several IMAP groups, you may want to add
all relevant groups to a virtual group and do the sorting there, see
(info "(gnus)Virtual Groups").

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,