Re: Vary signature according to the time of day

From: Thomas Gerds
Subject: Re: Vary signature according to the time of day
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 09:35:21 +0200

Glyn Millington <wistanswick@linuxmail.org> writes:

> Good morning!!
>
> I'm using No Gnus v0.03, XEmacs 21.4.15 on Linux (2.4.22).
>
> Is it possible, via posting styles or some other means, to automate the
> insertion of a different signature into a post depending on the time of
> day?
you can write a defun, e.g. `my-message-signature', and then use it as
the value for the variable message-signature:
,----
| `message-signature' is a variable declared in Lisp.
|   -- loaded from "message"
|
| Value: message-signature
|
| Documentation:
| *String to be inserted at the end of the message buffer.
| If t, the `message-signature-file' file will be inserted instead.
| If a function, the result from the function will be used instead.
| If a form, the result from the form will be used instead.
`----

here is an example:

(defun message-signature ()
  (let ((gname (or gnus-newsgroup-name "lala")))
    (cond
     ((string-match "^nnml:\\(zahn\\|med\\|imbi\\)" gname)
      t)
     ((string-match "gnus" gname)
      "very nice signature")
     (t t))))