Re: To IMAP or not to IMAP

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: To IMAP or not to IMAP
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:07:58 -0400

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, jesse@phiwumbda.org wrote:

> I have this vague impression that nnml is more flexible and just
> plain nicer than nnimap, but I'm not sure how or why.

nnml is better for editing articles (`e' doesn't work in nnimap).  I
like that feature a lot and miss it now that I'm using only IMAP.

If you set up an IMAP server with a reasonable backend storage format
(Maildir!), you should be able to rsync back and forth while still
using IMAP.  You could even access the same mail store directly over
NFS - Maildir is very good for that.  My feeling is, though, that you
should stick with IMAP everywhere, for better or worse, and you'll be
happier in the long term because your interface to mail will be
consistent.

Ted