Re: To IMAP or not to IMAP

From: Jesse F. Hughes
Subject: Re: To IMAP or not to IMAP
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:07:39 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, jesse@phiwumbda.org wrote:
>
>> I have this vague impression that nnml is more flexible and just
>> plain nicer than nnimap, but I'm not sure how or why.
>
> nnml is better for editing articles (`e' doesn't work in nnimap).  I
> like that feature a lot and miss it now that I'm using only IMAP.
>
> If you set up an IMAP server with a reasonable backend storage format
> (Maildir!), you should be able to rsync back and forth while still
> using IMAP.  You could even access the same mail store directly over
> NFS - Maildir is very good for that.

I have an IMAP server that comes with Slackware.  How do I know
whether its backend storage format is compatible with Maildir?

What can I do with nnmaildir that I can't with nnimap?  I guess
editing, right?  Anything else?

> My feeling is, though, that you should stick with IMAP everywhere,
> for better or worse, and you'll be happier in the long term because
> your interface to mail will be consistent.

Thanks much
--
"I have to break the code of how [mere humans] work, and I have made a
lot of progress over years of effort, and I feel like I am close to