Re: IMAP diagnostics questions

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: IMAP diagnostics questions
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:55:46 +0200

jesse@phiwumbda.org (Jesse F. Hughes) writes:

> Hey ho.
>
> In the Group buffer, when I hit "g", nnimap opens each group like so:
>
> (From the lossage buffer, so upside down)
>
> Opening nnimap server on PW+nnimap+PW:INBOX.kun...done
> imap: Plaintext authentication...
> Waiting for response from phiwumbda.org...done
> imap: Opening SSL connection with `openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect
> %s:%p'...done
> imap: Opening SSL connection with `openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect
> %s:%p'...
> imap: Connecting to phiwumbda.org...
> Opening nnimap server on PW+nnimap+PW:INBOX.kun...
>
> Well, my first question: Is that plaintext authentication *really*
> plaintext or not?  If I'm doing this over the internet, can my
> password be sniffed?

(setq imap-log t) and search for your password in the buffer, and look
at lines before it to try and tell whether SSL has already been
enabled.

I think your messages looks quite confusing, though.  Perhaps C-k them
and resubscribe them, to get the server definition of the groups
correct, will help.

> Second, is it necessary to establish the connection *every* time I get
> new mail?

No, although the existing connection might time out.

The experience you describe match what you get when there is confusion
about the server on the groups.  The solution is typically to C-k all
the nnimap groups, restart Emacs+Gnus, and resubscribe to the groups
in the *Server* buffer.

> Also, in my server buffer, in addition to
>
>      {nnimap:PW} (opened)
>
> I also see a slew of lines like
>
>      {nnimap:PW+nnimap+PW:INBOX.lists.categories} (opened)
>      {nnimap:PW+nnimap+PW:INBOX.tue} (opened)
>      {nnimap:PW+nnimap+PW:INBOX.tue.research} (opened)
>      {nnimap:PW+nnimap+PW:INBOX.trash.manual} (opened)
>
> Is that normal?

No.  You are definitely experiencing the server confusion problem.