Using SMTP and NNTP authorization

From: Al Arduengo
Subject: Using SMTP and NNTP authorization
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:17:39 -0500

I am using GNUS via CYGWIN on a Win2K machine (don't ask).  My news
and smtp servers both require authentication.  I have a .authinfo file
with 2 lines:

machine smtp.foo.bar login mylogin password mypassword
machine news.foo.bar login mylogin password mypassword

News server authentication always gets done automatically but if I try
to mail something, I get an error in the mini buffer.  I am not in
front of the actual machine right now so I can't recall the actual
error info but I assume it to be related to authentication.  Besides
the .authinfo file, what else would I need to do to get smtp to allow
messages?

Best,
-Al A.