Re: How to use Maildir for everything? How to duplicate behaviour of mut

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: How to use Maildir for everything? How to duplicate behaviour of mutt?
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:30:09 -0400

Juhapekka Tolvanen <FUBAR.juhtolv@iki.fi.SNAFU.invalid> wrote:
> First thing I need is this: When I hit "o" to save my News article, I
> want to save it that article to ~/News so that each group has one
> Maildir-folder.

Apparently there is no maildir-format saver function.  But you could
use B c to copy an article to an nnmaildir group.  So you could put
together a command that creates the nnmaildir group corresponding to
the current group, if it doesn't already exist, and then calls
gnus-summary-copy-article to put the article there.

> And how can I convert those News articles I already have there to
> Maildir-format? According to file-command they are in emacs
> RMAIL-format.

You could temporarily create an nnbabyl server to access those as Gnus
groups, and use B c to copy the articles to nnmaildir groups.

> [When I stop reading my INBOX, read mails are moved to
> ~/Maildir.save/read/ if I give permission.]

I think you could do something like that with auto-expire in your
inbox group, with the "read" group as the expiry target.  I'm not sure
if you could make it prompt you for moving the messages, though.

> [When I leave text editor, and decide to postpone sending my E-Mail, it
> is saved to ~/Maildir.save/postponed/ if don't give permission for
> cancelling that E-Mail]

Gnus has a specialized backend for drafts.  It's not maildir, but it
does use one file per message.

> [When I send my E-Mail, a copy of it is saved to
> ~/Maildir.save/sent-mail-YYYY-MM where YYYY is substituted with number
> of year and YY is substituted with number of month (leading zero included)]

That can be done with a little Lisp.  I've never done it, so I don't
know the details.

> my_hdr From: Juhapekka Tolvanen <juhtolv@cc.jyu.fi>
> my_hdr Reply-To: Juhapekka Tolvanen <juhtolv@iki.fi>
>
> [Those headers are added to each mail]

I do this with posting styles, but there are other ways too.

> [during editing I can edit all headers, too]

I think that's always true in Gnus, except there are some fields like
Date and Message-ID that are regenerated when you send the message.

> # If unset and you are replying to a message sent by you, Mutt will
> # assume that you want to reply to the recipients of that message
> # rather than to yourself.

If you use followup instead of reply, Gnus will construct a message
addressed to the sender and recipients, but then will remove your own
address.

> [First ignore all headers when reading some E-Mail]
> [Then unignore some headers]

See the variable gnus-visible-headers.

> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnmaildir ""))

Make that:
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnmaildir "" (directory "~/Maildir.save")))

> (add-to-list 'mail-sources '(maildir :path "/var/mail/juhtolv/" :subdirs
> ("cur" "new") ) )
>
> But I don't want it to delete mail from my INBOX when I stop reading
> it. I want to copy each mail manually to right folder.

Then you should access that maildir as an nnmaildir group, not a
mail-source.  You can make a symlink like ~/Maildir.save/inbox ->
/var/mail/juhtolv.

> BTW is Gnus the only emacs-based MUA Maildir-support?

There's also VM, perhaps others as well.

paul