Re: Gathering certain emails from across groups in one; labels

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Gathering certain emails from across groups in one; labels
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:56:28 -0400

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, asjo@koldfront.dk wrote:

> If I could label email and have a special group display all the
> emails with a given label, the problem would be solved.

I think this was asked on the ding list fairly recently (not the
"labeling groups" discussion, but labeling messages).

The gnus-registry.el package can store arbitrary data associated with
a message ID.  It already stores the message subject, and that's used
to place followups to a conversation in the right group even if they
don't keep references properly (the registry also does this by
sender).  I think that was part of your original question.

Anyhow, the registry will give you all the message IDs for a label,
and tell you the group(s) for each message ID.  You can find the
messages easily that way and make copies of them or whatever else you
need to do.  So all you need to do is define a label "extra data"
entry for the registry and use it.

This method has the advantage that you don't need to modify the
messages in any way (so it will work with NNTP or nnrss, for
instance).

Ted