Re: fetch parent of article bug ?

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: fetch parent of article bug ?
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 17:32:12 +0100

On Tue, Nov 02 2004, Sebastien Kirche wrote:

> i am since this weekend with the Gnus 5.11 provided with Emacs CVS
> and it seems that when an article parent is not already in the
> summary buffer, [^] fetches a wrong article.
>
> If the parent is in the summary, [^] fetches the right one.

What is the value of `gnus-refer-article-method' in your setup?
It may look like this:

,----[ C-h v gnus-refer-article-method RET ]
| gnus-refer-article-method's value is shown below.
|
| Preferred method for fetching an article by Message-ID.
| If you are reading news from the local spool (with nnspool), fetching
| articles by Message-ID is painfully slow.  By setting this method to an
| nntp method, you might get acceptable results.
|
| The value of this variable must be a valid select method as discussed
| in the documentation of `gnus-select-method'.
|
| It can also be a list of select methods, as well as the special symbol
| `current', which means to use the current select method.  If it is a
| list, Gnus will try all the methods in the list until it finds a match.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| Defined in `gnus'.
|
| Value:
| (current
|  (nntp "localhost")
|  [...]
|  (nntp "news.gmane.org")
|  (nntp "news.gnus.org")
|  (nnweb "google"
|       (nnweb-type google)))
`----

For google, I'd recommend to set `mm-url-use-external' and
`mm-url-program':

(setq
 mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m
 ;; Use wget instead of url.el (for nnweb-type google), seems to work more
 ;; reliable.
 mm-url-use-external t
 mm-url-program 'wget)

> Does someone had noticed such a problem, am i wrong, or is it a good
> candidate for gnus-bug ?

When the article isn't found on either server, I get random articles
instead.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,