Re: fetch parent of article bug ?

From: Sebastien Kirche
Subject: Re: fetch parent of article bug ?
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 22:35:46 +0100

Le 2 nov 2004, Reiner Steib a dit :

> For google, I'd recommend to set `mm-url-use-external' and
> `mm-url-program':
>
> (setq
> mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m
> ;; Use wget instead of url.el (for nnweb-type google), seems to work more
> ;; reliable.
> mm-url-use-external t
> mm-url-program 'wget)

Hehe, actually i just found the following in my .gnus (seem to be time for a
bit of housework ;)
,----
| ;; Lorsqu'un article n'est plus disponible dans le serveur NNTP, on utilise
| ;; google.com
| ;; This snippet comes from the info docs Gnus->Finding the Parent.
| (setq gnus-refer-article-method
|       '(current
|               (nnweb "google" (nnweb-type google))))
| (setq mm-url-use-external t
|       mm-url-arguments
|        `("--silent"
|          ,(concat "-A Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; "
|
|             "en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20021207 Phoenix/0.5"))
|        mm-url-program "curl")
`----
So it gives it a try with curl, not internal url.el...

As i sometimes use Gnus on  non-Unix systems that might not provide curl nor
wget, i am considering a conditional define of mm-url-use-external.
Is there a function like  file-exists-p or file-executable-p that can search
the PATH ?

Le 2 nov 2004, Reiner Steib s'est exprimé ainsi :

> > I suppose that gnus implicitly fetched  from the agent and if not in the
> > agent then from google.
>
> I don't know if/how the agent is involved (I don't use the agent).
>
> > (current
> > (nntp "localhost")
> > [...]
> > (nntp "news.gmane.org")
> > (nntp "news.gnus.org")
> > (nnweb "google"
> >     (nnweb-type google)))
> [...]
> > BTW : as i can see some specific group names in your example, do you set
> > gnus-refer-article-method on a per-group basis ?
>
> No, I don't (it should be possible, though).  When the article is not
> available on one server, the next one is tried.  localhost (leafnode2
> with short expire time) carries all my nntp groups (de.*, gmane.*,
> gnu.*), Gmane is for gmane.*, news.gnus.org is only relevant for
> gnus.gnus-bug.  If all else fails, try google.

Okay,  i have  re-read your  explanation again,  also with  some RTFM  and i
understand more how it works.

I have also heard about my ISP  news gateway that it is composed of multiple
servers  (all  bounded to  the  same  address so  you  can't  select one  in
particular) and that sometimes the same message can't be reached for a while
in all the servers... So it might be an ISP problem.

So I will add gmane to the list to see if the problem remains.

Thank you for your infos :)

Sébastien Kirche