SMTP Authentication and Non-Standard Ports

From: Emily Jackson
Subject: SMTP Authentication and Non-Standard Ports
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 08:07:12 -0600

I normally use Sylpheed to handle my e-mail, but I needed to send a bug
report from within Gnus. My ISP requires SMTP authentication and blocks
port 25, so I *thought* I had Gnus set up correctly to send e-mail via
my Fastmail account:

(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.messagingengine.com")
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
           '(("mail.messagingengine.com" 26 "username" "password")))
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
           '(("mail.messagingengine.com" 26 nil nil)))

However, when I tried to send the message, it failed; looking at the
error messages I got, it was obvious Gnus was trying to use port 25
instead of 26 and was unable to connect. When I changed .gnus.el to use
my ISP's smtp server:

(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtpauth.earthlink.net")
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
           '(("smtpauth.earthlink.net" 25 "username" "password")))
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
           '(("smtpauth.earthlink.net" 25 nil nil)))

it worked. So, why wasn't I able to get Gnus to use port 26 with the
other account?

Thanks,

Emily

--
"If it seem slow, wait for it; it will surely come, it will not delay."
Emily Jackson