Re: How do you say "gnus"?

From: Tom Linden
Subject: Re: How do you say "gnus"?
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 05:42:42 -0800

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 19:51:54 -0700, Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn@garlic.com> wrote:

gnosis was/is "great new operating system in the sky"
(capability-based operating system) done by tymshare in the late 70s
and early 80s ... before M/D bought them and spun-off tymnet to
british telecom and gnosis to a startup called key logic and renamed
keykos. in that time-frame, i tended to have regularly monthly
meetings with some of the tymshare people (in part because they had a
vm/370-based time-sharing service) ... and was brought in by M/D to do
gnosis technical audit for the spin-off.
keykos/gnosis somewhat was reborn as eros on intel architecture
... and is being touted as operating system designed to get an CC/EAL7
evaluation:
http://www.eros-os.org/
and keykos
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~KeyKOS/

Hmmm.  I always thought Gnosis came from the greek.  As you may recall,
I acquired the rights to this from Gene Amdahl some 10 years ago, and we may
yet launch it.  Maybe we should do it as community effort:-)

There was a similar effort at the Univ of Dresden by Jochen Liedtke, now
deceased called the L4 microkernel.  IBM hired him, I guess to do these
sort of things, but unfortunately he died a couple of years into the project.

Tom