Re: How do you say "gnus"?

From: David Z Maze
Subject: Re: How do you say "gnus"?
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 15:14:34 -0500

David Sumbler <david@aeolia.co.uk> writes:

> Now for the trivial question: how do you say "Gnus"?  Is it pronounced
> like "News", or do the cognoscienti pronounce it in some other way?

I know "correct" pronounciation of GNU is like "gnew" (all one
syllable); I've always pronounced Gnus as "gnews", pronouncing the
"g".

> For that matter, how do people usually say "Emacs"?  I say "Ee-macs",
> but perhaps it should be "Em-axe".

"E macs".  Kind of like the new Apple release.

> On the very rare occasions when I have managed to get to a local Linux
> user group (my work schedule doesn't usually allow it) I've realized
> that most people seem to say "Line-ux" for what I think of as
> "Linn-ux".  I suppose none of it matters much, especially if I never
> get to talk to anyone about these things!

Several years back there was a .au file floating around the same sorts
of places you got your kernel sources: "My name is Leenus Torvalds,
and I pronounce 'Leenux' as Leenux."  But everyone I've met around
Boston says "Linnucks".

  --dzm