No smarter way than fetching every 5min ?

From: François Fleuret
Subject: No smarter way than fetching every 5min ?
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:55:37 +0100

Hi,

This is slightly remote to gnus but ...

My current setting is that fetchmail gets the mails every 5min from
the servers and gives them to exim, who drops them wherever they are
supposed to be dropped. Gnus gets them from those files like if they
were in /var/spool/mail.

But I suddenly start to wonder ... There is no smarter way to do that
? Like for instance fetchmail keeping a live connection to the server
and getting a notice when new mail arrives ? I have the feeling it has
to be possible ...

Cheers,

--
François Fleuret