Re: Character sets in Usenet messages, rereading messages in Gnus

From: Aidan Kehoe
Subject: Re: Character sets in Usenet messages, rereading messages in Gnus
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:44:18 +0000

 Ar an fichiú lá de mí Eanair, scríobh Alan Mackenzie:

 > > Iâ~@~Ym not arguing the theory of the thing--if you want to upgrade to
 > > a UTF-8 capable newsreader, Iâ~@~Yll do all I can to help you.
 >
 > Thanks.  I run my newsreading software on a 166 MHz Linux Machine set up
 > for ISO-8859-1.  I'm not prepared to compromise the quality of my Usenet
 > setup or degrade the performance of my machine by using X-Windows.  I
 > suspect there are many Usenetters in the over-exploited parts of the
 > world using machines as powerful as mine, who also don't want the
 > degradation that GUIs impose.  Relevant help files were noticeably absent
 > from Markus Kuhn's home page, the one you directed me to a few days ago.
 >
 > Suggestions on how best to field utf-8 encoded postings in west European
 > languages would be welcome.

Excuse me not getting to that earlier; I managed, accidentally, to have Gnus
ignore comp.emacs.xemacs for half a week :-( .

Gnus people, when you’ve subscribed to a group, and have read all the
messages in that group, and the line for that group has disappeared from the
*Groups* buffer, what’s the sanctioned way to go back and reread those
messages?  I type “U” in the “*Group*” buffer, subscribe to
comp.emacs.xemacs, read 50 messages, and then I seem to be unsubscribed from
it, which is exactly what I don’t want.

Anyway, Alan, tell us if recode with trn works for you. A few minutes’
googling doesn’t give me anything better as a suggestion, besides using the
UTF-8 branch of Mutt together with a news-mail gateway.

--
“Ah come on now Ted, a Volkswagen with a mind of its own, driving all over
the place and going mad, if that’s not scary I don’t know what is.”