One more authinfo file posting

From: Stefan Kamphausen
Subject: One more authinfo file posting
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:57:24 +0100

Hi,

I really think that this should be in the FAQ _and_ that Gnus should
be a little bit more verbose on its decision making process.

The problem is -once again- that the authinfo file defined in my
nnimap settings won't be read.  I've tried (probably) all combinations
of:
- the name of the IMAP server (IP, FQDN, short name)
- the port (143, imap, 993, none at all)
and the matching settings in my .authinfo file ([1]).

I would really like to see some messages in the *nnimap-debug* buffer,
telling me for what it was looking in which file and what it found and
why it chose not to use such a line.

Could you give me any pointers on what I could try next or how to be
more verbose in the nnimap-debug-buffer?  I tried to read the code in
nnimap.el but I think I'd need to dive much deeper into the gnus
mechanisms to really understand it.

For my system and setup see [2].

Thanks and Regards
Stefan Kamphausen

Footnotes:
[1]
Actually, I use a different file because I am accessing a different
mailbox on an ms exchange server; this could be a big improvement to
the docs or the FAQs because I've hunted it for some 3 weeks until I
found that I could log in to the server with a combination of
"domain/username/short name of the mailbox".  Most important was the
short name, because the long name as displayed in outlook didn't work.
Maybe because of the spaces or the '[' or the '&' or the ']' in it's
name, I don't know.  But then, that's another story :-)

[2]
I am using Gnus v5.10.6 on "21.4 (patch 15) \"Security Through
Obscurity\" XEmacs Lucid" with the following
gnus-secondary-select-method:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "")
        (nnimap ""
                (nnimap-address "mailserver")
                (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.imap-othermailbox")
                (nnimap-list-pattern ("*"))
                (nnimap-expunge-on-close never)
                )
        ))

--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)