referring to local variables

From: Andreas Balser
Subject: referring to local variables
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:01:52 +0100

Dear group,

I would like the signature file to depend on whether I post to
newsgroups or send email, and I would like not to have a signature
separator above the signature file.
This does not work, because I get something wrong about local
variables, I suppose:

In order to have a different signature depending on whether I post to
news-groups or send private email, I have the following:

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '(("nntp"
         (signature-file "~/.signature.short"))))

I am sending this message with (in gnus 5.10.6, emacs 21.2.1)
(setq message-signature t)

However, I would like my signature file to contain the signature
seperator (see below), and hence, I would rather set

(setq message-signature nil)

(defun ab-sig ()
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char (point-max))
     (insert-file-contents message-signature-file)))

(add-hook 'message-signature-setup-hook 'ab-sig t)

When I do this, this works for email-messages (where
signature-file is not changed), but when I try to post to a newsgroup,
I get
wrong type of argument: stringp, nil

If I set the message-signature-file variable as group parameter, then
this is ignored by my ab-sig function, although M-x apropos-variable
knows about the local meaning of message-signature-file.

--

Andreas

--
something funny comes here