Re: x-pkcs7-mime verification?

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: x-pkcs7-mime verification?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:46:04 +0200

    AJ> What is the difference/why isn't it decsrypting?

It's a clear text message encoded in base64, not a message encrypted
with the recipient's key.

    AJ> I can find the message in the source code but I never see the
    AJ> message myself. When I read a message that is both encrypted and
    AJ> signed I'm asked the same question as you (whether the message
    AJ> should be decrypted or not). On a positive answer I see the
    AJ> decrypted message and if I verify it (`W s') it succeeds too.

And do the headers contain the application/x-pkcs7-mime MIME type?

The mail I have problems with is produced by Outlook and contains the
following content-type headers in the main mail headers:

The mail body is base64 encoded and contains a signed message in the
PKCS7 (I assume) format.  The Gnus function handling it is:

  (defun mm-possibly-verify-or-decrypt (parts ctl)
    (let ((type (car ctl))
          (subtype (cadr (split-string (car ctl) "/")))
          (mm-security-handle ctl) ;; (car CTL) is the type.
          protocol func functest)
      (cond
       ((or (equal type "application/x-pkcs7-mime")
            (equal type "application/pkcs7-mime"))
        (with-temp-buffer
          (when (and (cond
                      ((eq mm-decrypt-option 'never) nil)
                      ((eq mm-decrypt-option 'always) t)
                      ((eq mm-decrypt-option 'known) t)
                      (t (y-or-n-p
                          (format "Decrypt (S/MIME) part? "))))
                     (mm-view-pkcs7 parts))

mm-view-pkcs7 leads to the "unimplemented" message I've seen.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
The seeker after truth should be humbler than the dust.  The world crushes the
dust under its feet, but the seeker after truth should so humble himself that