Re: I Want Same Summary Line Format For Nntp And Nnml Group

From: Steinar Børmer
Subject: Re: I Want Same Summary Line Format For Nntp And Nnml Group
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 21:08:43 +0200

Steven Woody wrote:

| and, this is a sample summary line of my nnml:mail.misc group,
| R  [   7: -> Steven Woody        ] Out of Office AutoReply
|
| my name is Steven Woody, so i dont want to know in my mail folder.
| and, as i treat mail folder and news folder almostly in a same way, so
| i wan to make the line format of mail folder as same as news folder.

You're not alone on this one.  ;)

| below is the currently gnus-summary-line-format value
|
|       gnus-summary-line-format's value is
|       "%U%R%z%I%(%[%4L: %-23,23f%]%) %s\n"
|       Local in buffer *Summary nnml:mail.misc*; global value is
|       "%U%R%z%I%(%[%4L: %-23,23f%]%) %s\n"
|
| it's amazing that the local value and global value are exactly same!
| so i dont understand what make the differences.

Don't worry about the fact that they are the same, it shouldn't be a
problem.

| so, what do i do? thanks.

(setq gnus-summary-line-format "%U%R%z%I%(%[%4L: %-23n%]%) %s\n")

I've changed the "f" to an "n", and you can see from the docs:

`C-h v gnus-summary-line-format RET' gives (excerpts:)

,----
| %n   Name of the poster (string)
| %a   Extracted name of the poster (string)
| %A   Extracted address of the poster (string)
| %F   Contents of the From: header (string)
| %f   Contents of the From: or To: headers (string)
`----

For some reason, Gnus defaults to the To: header in nnml when "f" is
active.  I haven't looked into why, someone else can certainly answer
that one.   Also, you might want to experiment with some of the other
alternatives above.

You'll also notice that I've changed "-23,23" to "-23", and that's
because really long names will be shown.  That's my personal preference
only.

--
SB

When in doubt, use brute force.