Re: header error

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: header error
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 13:30:59 GMT

Thank you for your patience.

> Where did you get the idea to set mail-host-address like this?

Brain fried because of 15-hour days this week. I apologize.

> [...]
>
> > As for mail-host-address, it uses (system-name) (but I don't know
> > how to display the current value of a variable in emacs).
>
> You can use - tada - C-h v variable-name RET.

It returned "teufel.hartford-hwp.com". This is my FQDN, but if
"machine name" really means the local hostname (teufel), then I've got
a problem (unrelated to gnus) However, I'm not having problems with
e-mail headers.

> This is all not that relevant to Gnus (how you configure your box),
> but setting user-mail-address should bypass this anyway, I would
> assume.
>
> > In any case, I don't see that it would cause the header From: line
> > to be missing entirely.
>
> No, that is a little strange. Doesn't happen here.
>
> If I were you, I'd either locate the line in my configuration that
> makes the From:-line stop appearing (by commenting out lines), or use
> edebug to walk through the relevant function to see why it doesn't
> appear.

I went so far as to remove my .emacs file and have only the nntp
server line in .gnus, and the problem persists.

I looked into Edebug, but it got a little deep for me. Apparently,
after it is initialized, I can then call the function in
question. Problem is that I don't know what function to call. I tried
to look into /etc/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/gnus/nnheader.elc, and search
for "From:". There were a couple places, but they seemed to have to do
with parsing names. I had trouble reading the file because it is
compiled. In any case, I saw no reference to a function I could run
for Edebug. In fact, just initializing it was a problem because I've
got C-M-x bound in my window manager to start an application. If I use
Edebug, I'll have to remove that key-binding.

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM