Re: Switch from Outlook express to GNUS

From: Steven Woody
Subject: Re: Switch from Outlook express to GNUS
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:01:34 +0800

"Bijan Minaee" <bijan.minaee@btinternet.com> writes:

> Hi guys
> This may sound a dumb question, but hear me out please.
> Like millions of people around the world I have used the Outlook Express as
> my news reader, without any hassles or fear.
> I have of late discovered the vast array of goodies within Emacs
> (Particularly the Windows version) .I have also stumbled on Gnus as another
> news reader application.
> I am keen to explore the possibilities and capabilities of Gnus, but am
> rather limited in my expertise in making the transition.
> Are there any tried and tested routine to achieve a smooth setup?
>
> Many many thanks for all and any pointers.
>
> Bijan

i've not heard any setup routine, might someone else would help this
question. but i think gnus is easy to install so there is no need for such
bother. i suggest you that do things step by step and from easy to hard. for
example you can first let it mailing out mails, then receive mails, these only
worth a few lines of configuration code. after that, you can set it to access
nntp, these also not hard.  after some days, when you familiar with the usage,
you can do some fantastic setup to make your life easy.

the very hard part of gnus i think might be accessing non-primer mail servers,
this will involved some nightmares of playing with pop3 in ssl, smtp
authentication, etc.  but a workaround is use other dedicated programs to
fetch/receive mails for you and direct gnus only communicate to local spool and
local MTA. i found this way is easy and faster.

welcome to free world!

--
What happens to us when we die?
... We return to the place we came from.