Re: Switch from Outlook express to GNUS

From: Jason Dufair
Subject: Re: Switch from Outlook express to GNUS
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:46:56 -0500

"Bijan Minaee" <bijan.minaee@btinternet.com> writes:

> Hi guys
> This may sound a dumb question, but hear me out please.
> Like millions of people around the world I have used the Outlook Express as
> my news reader, without any hassles or fear.
> I have of late discovered the vast array of goodies within Emacs
> (Particularly the Windows version) .I have also stumbled on Gnus as another
> news reader application.
> I am keen to explore the possibilities and capabilities of Gnus, but am
> rather limited in my expertise in making the transition.
> Are there any tried and tested routine to achieve a smooth setup?

If you're just planning on using it for news, it should be pretty
straightforward.  This is assuming you don't have the expectation to
migrate the state of subscribed groups and read/unread postings.  In
other words, if you just want to start reading news, it should be a
simple at M-x gnus from your emacs.  Take a look at the Gnus manual and
report back if you have any specific problems.

By the way, I recommend Cygwin Emacs over NT Emacs if you are already
running Cygwin (and perhaps even if you aren't).
--
Jason Dufair - jase@dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/