Re: Strange charset selection when posting in iso-8859-1

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: Strange charset selection when posting in iso-8859-1
Date: 06 Sep 2005 16:01:15 +0200

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > [...] unless you remove the above line from your Emacs,
 > you're likely to bump into an increasing number of
 > annoyances.

The number of annoyances I bumped into with multi-byte mode
enabled was much higher than without it. Others may believe that
wouldn't be true, but I reckon my word is more authoritative than
other people's word when it comes to what annoys _me_.

Now, I don't recall whether I mentioned it already, but there is
a curious problem in Gnus, namely the fact that it uses the name
"latin1-iso-8859-1" to designate the encoding the rest of the
world calls "iso-8859-1". I realize that fixing this problem
requires re-writing Gnus from scratch, more or less, but it is
not going to become less of an effort by discussing a completely
different topic for the next two weeks.

It would be just GREAT if someone with the power to make changes
happen could comment on that subject.

Peter