Re: display of accented characters

From: Sébastien Kirche
Subject: Re: display of accented characters
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:58:53 +0100

At 22:11 on nov 16 2005, Hugh Lawson said :

> Emacs 21, talking about Latin characters
>
> Problem: in X, using a Multi-key (compose key) the accented characters
> are displayed in a different smaller font. But, with the same emacs,
> using iso-accents-mode, the accented characters are displayed as
> expected.
>
> This means that this emacs install can display the accented characters
> properly.

It means also that the accentuated chars that are inserted via the
compose key and those generated by iso-accents-mode are not the same.

I guess that one set must be iso-8859-1 and the other is iso-8859-15
(the one that includes euro).

To check that you can go to the different accentuated chars and type
C-u C-x =
I will show you the properties of the character and the font used to
display it.

> How can I make them display properly without using the
> iso-accents-mode?
>
> Or, where in the documentation is this issue discussed?  I've done a
> good bit of web searching and doc browsing.

Maybe that you could take a look to the fontsets chapter of the manual
(info "(Emacs)Fontsets") and (info "(Emacs)Defining fontsets") to know
how Emacs can use differents font sets to display the characters
regarding of their encoding.

Then M-x describe-fontset RET RET to see the current fontset settings.
You will be able to see the character set to correct in the fontset.

Note : this is a solution that could be considered somehow as a canon-to
kill a fly and maybe that simply unify-8859-on-encoding-mode could help
you without hacking the fontset.

I hope that another experienced user will confirm/infirm what i said.

HTH.
--
Sébastien Kirche