problem using starttls with imap

From: Pranav K. Tiwari
Subject: problem using starttls with imap
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 11:04:42 +0530

I am trying to move to starttls because our IT now mandates use of SSL
to connect to IMAP.

I'm using 'No Gnus v0.6' on Windows. I have the following config:

;; TLS
(load "starttls")
(setq starttls-use-gnutls t
      nnimap-stream 'starttls
      nnimap-server-port 993)

When I try to connect, I see the following in the message buffer:

imap: Connecting to <server>...
Opening STARTTLS connection to `<server>'...
imap: Connecting to <server>...failed

And, then - nothing.

I sniffed the packets, and it appears that the client completes a 3-way
handshake with the server, but doesn't send anything after that. Any
ideas?

regards,
-p

--