Re: problem using starttls with imap

From: Pranav K. Tiwari
Subject: Re: problem using starttls with imap
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 16:18:59 +0530

gdt@work.lexort.com writes:

> jpranav@cisco.com (Pranav K. Tiwari) writes:
>
>> Yes, my server supports SSL, however, I don't have Windows client for
>> SSL. I was (wrongly) assuming that SSL support would imply TLS support
>> at the server's end.
>
> It might well support TLS via STARTTLS, but try the regular imap port.

imap port doesn't work either, so probably starttls is not
supported.

>> Do you know if there are any free distributions of ssl client I can use
>> with ssl stream?
>
> I don't know - I don't use windows at all.  But this is probably a
> FAQ.

Marcus pointed me to
<URL:http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html> and I found a
working ssl client.

Now, I'm able to move one step further: the stream comes up. However,
emacs seems to hang at that point. I followed the code, and it appears
to be looping inside imap-open-ssl at the following lines (marked
with -->):

          (with-current-buffer buffer
            (goto-char (point-min))
-->         (while (and (memq (process-status process) '(open run))
-->                     (set-buffer buffer) ;; XXX "blue moon" nntp.el bug
-->                     (goto-char (point-max))
-->                     (forward-line -1)
-->                     (not (imap-parse-greeting)))
-->                     (not (imap-parse-greeting)))
-->           (accept-process-output process 1)
-->           (sit-for 1))

I'm not sure what it is waiting on. In the *imap* <server> bufer, I see:

* OK Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 IMAP4rev1 server version 6.5.7638.1
(<server>) ready.

But, nothing after that. So, it appears that the stream was opened, but
gnus is expecting something it doesn't get.

Any ideas?
-p