Re: How many use eMacs and Gnus on daily basis?

From: Hadron Quark
Subject: Re: How many use eMacs and Gnus on daily basis?
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 17:19:03 +0200

me@privacy.net writes:

> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>me@privacy.net writes:
>>
>>> I'm curious what you do with emacs
>>>
>>> and gNus
>>
>>I'd say everyone that posts in this ng ....
>
> Ok
>
> Dumb question on my part but here goes
>
> I sick of bloated and fat software from MS
>
> If I learn emacs can it replace say 80 percent of the
> stiff I use now?

What size is your stiff?

I all seriousness, its a bit of a silly question. There are many things
that emacs has been extended to do : none of which are particularly
"GUI" and "Idiot proof" in the way that most MS apps are. What is it you
do? Then google up emacs and see if there are packages which can replace
the Windows SW you use. I have tried to use emacs as a C/C++ IDE and its
rubbish compared to the more modern GUI ones IMO : I do, however, use it
for news, email and chat. Anything thats basically text based
I use it for since all apps then share the same "look and feel" and
keyboard bindings for basic and not so basic editing. But there is a
cost : emacs is not, despite what some would have you believe, the
easiest editor/platform to come to terms with. But, and a big but, when
you get into it I doubt you will ever change to another editor.

Here: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SiteMap