Re: How many use eMacs and Gnus on daily basis?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: How many use eMacs and Gnus on daily basis?
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 18:17:57 +1000

mark@ixod.org (Mark T.B. Carroll) writes:

> me@privacy.net writes:
>
>> Dumb question on my part but here goes
>>
>> I sick of bloated and fat software from MS
>>
>> If I learn emacs can it replace say 80 percent of the
>> stiff I use now?
>
> I'm planning to try out emacs' planner and wiki stuff and whatever.
> There are emacs packages for many things, but many are poorly enough
> documented that it really helps to be able to read Emacs Lisp so that
> you can study the source code.
>
> For word processing and spreadsheets and whatever, probably I could bend
> emacs to those purposes, but frankly I use other free tools like LyX and
> Gnumeric instead.

For documents, AucTex mode under emacs is really good. Its been many
years since I tried out LyX, but for anything LaTeX/TeX based, I don't
think you can beat AucTex.

There are at least 3 different emacs spreadsheet modes and they vary
in how good they are. However, unless you need really sophisticated
stuff, I've found them pretty good. It does really help to know elisp.
However, elisp is not as daunting as it may seem at first and doesn't
take long to learn (like lisp generally, it is easy to learn, but
takes a bit of effort to master).

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au