Re: pgg or mailcrypt

From: gdt
Subject: Re: pgg or mailcrypt
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:22:18 -0400

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> Bastien <bzgNOSPAM@altern.org> writes:
>
>> Mailcrypt is obsolete.
>
> Someone better tell Ubuntu/debian that then.
>
> Where is mailcrypt tagged obsolete?

The last release is September 2002.  One can infer that it isn't being
maintained.

> I can find no tutorial or easy "howto guide" for PGG.

See the Gnus texinfo manual.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusPGG

> Can anyone point me into the right direction for using pgg from a set of
> defined default keybindings in gnus? I cant find how to encrypt a post
> (only region) or  how to interactively change the gpg user id.

      (require 'pgg)
      (setq mm-verify-option 'known)
      (setq mm-decrypt-option 'known)
      (setq gnus-buttonized-mime-types
            '("multipart/signed" "multipart/encrypted"))

      (add-hook
       'message-setup-hook
       (lambda ()
         (mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime)))

Then, when composing a message, and in summary, do ^H m and read all
the keybindings with "secure" in them.
See "W s" in summary mode.

> But since mailcrypt works, is documented and (seems) more flexible and
> easy to use I'll stick with it for now : the undlerying cyphers are done
> using gpg so there is no security risk as mailcrypt is just a front end
> I guess. Or?

A big issue is in getting the passphrase from the keyboard, via emacs,
to gpg.  It's important not to write it to disk.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@work.lexort.com>