Re: Spam quation : procmail v spam.el using spamassassin.

From: Hadron Quark
Subject: Re: Spam quation : procmail v spam.el using spamassassin.
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:53:39 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On 19 Jun 2006, hadronquark@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Since procmail settings are causing my mail to be "split" into spam
>> folders (nnmaildir) after processing by spamassassin, would the split
>> functons in spam.el have any purpose?
>
> Sure.  You could apply additional filters to the SA run.
>
>> I'm really going around in circles trying to figure out the best way of
>> configuring spamassassin with procmail and then gnus. Any help greatly
>> appreciated.
>
> The delivery for that setup should be:
>
> incoming mail
> procmail
> SA
> nnmaildir
> spam.el (if you want) for extra splitting
>
> Then the read cycle would be
>
> 1)
>
> enter SPAM group
> (all unread messages are spam by default)
> mark any messages as ham
> exit SPAM group
> (spam and ham processing and destinations are applied here)
>
> 2)
>
> enter non-SPAM group
> (same as above, except unread messages are not spam by default, so you
> mark messages as spam manually)
>
> So the setup consists of:
>
> a) set up SPAM and non-SPAM groups (this is done with `G c' or `G p'
> or gnus-parameters)
> b) set up spam and ham processing (these are functions to be run on
> spam and ham, e.g. sa-learn for SA), if wanted
> c) set up spam and ham destinations (for spam/ham messages on group
> exit), if wanted
>
> I personally prefer destinations to processing, because I have a slow
> IMAP server so it's faster to move messages and then batch-process
> them, but it's up to you.
>
> I hope that helps.  More introductory information can be found at
> http://lifelogs.com/spam and in the Gnus manual.
>
> Ted

It is a help : if only to calm me down and think more logically -
sometimes it can all be a bit confusing :( Especially with this new
default spam process which has replaced spamassassin - it wasnt
immediately clear to me wither this spam.el was compatible with
spamassassins x-headers etc etc.

Maybe one last answer (which may or may not be in manuals) : I use
posting styles to maintain different email folders - is it trivial (before I
start wasting time trying) to configure spam.el to move the "mark as NOT
spam" to the correct procmail populated maildirs in gnus?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.