Re: fetching mails in batch mode

From: Andrea Russo
Subject: Re: fetching mails in batch mode
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:34:00 +0200

Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk> writes:

> It will all go horrible wrong if you do this. If you are already
> running an Emacs, I presume that you want to read in batch because
> emacs hangs while reading?

Yes, although I actually use fetchmail for mails and leafnode for
news.  But I'm searching for a solution where I can't manage to have
these tools installed.

> In which case, you might want to use the gnus-demon instead which
> will read in the idle cycle.

But it'll anyway stop emacs from accepting user input.

> You might also want to look at the nnmaildir backend which is
> supposed to cope with concurrent modification. Never tried it,
> although I mean to at some time.

Interesting. I use it with a remote path (`/user@host:/etc..../').
Is this property of coping with concurrency valid also for the
corresponding gnus backend nnmaildir?

Thanks for your help,
Andrea.

--
`To alcohol!  The cause of, and solution to,
 all of life's problems' --Homer J. Simpson