Re: For the complete novice without knowledge of code how to deal with t

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: For the complete novice without knowledge of code how to deal with the code for setting up mail in gnus
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 15:21:49 -0500

"Don Saklad" <dsaklad@gnu.org> wrote in message
news:5i4py4jdwg.fsf@fencepost.gnu.org...
> For the complete novice without good knowledge of code, how can
> setting up mail in gnus be explained?
>
> There's got to be an easier way of explaining what some think to
> be unexplainable. So you don't know lisp, here's another
> explanation you can try...  See if this works... Okay, and that
> explanation is...
>
> Would there be any how to set up mail in gnus for the complete
> novice that doesn't require knowledge of code?... or that could
> make it even more clear than what we get at
> http://www.google.com/search?q=gnus+email

Either add the following to your .emacs or evaluate it with C-x C-e, C-j
or whatever is appropriate in the buffer's context:

(setq user-full-name "your name") ;; an arbitrary string works here
(setq user-mail-address user@yourisp.com)  ;; replace with your isp
assigned user name @ isp name

(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.yourisp.com") ;; if this doesn't
work get the correct string from another mail program (i.e. Outlook)
(setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

(load-library "smtpmail")

(setenv "MAILHOST" "mail.isp.com")  ;; or whatever: see above
(setq rmail-primary-inbox-list
    '("user@yourisp.com") rmail-pop-password-required t)
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.isp.com")) ;; or get string from a
mail program known to work. This might not belong in .emacs but in .gnus
or something

(load-library "message")
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

Then try M-x gnus. Something should work. If there is a gnus wizard
following this thread, I have a question too:

How can I use one email address for mail and one for news, using gnus for
both?

Ed.