Re: For the complete novice without knowledge of code how to deal with t

From: Don Saklad
Subject: Re: For the complete novice without knowledge of code how to deal with the code for setting up mail in gnus
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 02:31:54 GMT

          Thank you Ed. B. T. Raven !

          In the future, how could gnus be developed to
          automatically setup for users' mail?... even
          with all the variable predicaments.

          The difficulty of giving code for novices to add is
          that the other things that could happen require
          further complicated steps for the novice.

    For the complete novice without good knowledge of code, how
    can setting up mail in gnus be explained?

    There's got to be an easier way of explaining what some think
    to be unexplainable. So you don't know lisp, here's another
    explanation you can try...  See if this works... Okay, and
    that explanation is...

    Would there be any how to set up mail in gnus for the
    complete novice that doesn't require knowledge of code?... or
    that could make it even more clear than what we get at
    http://www.google.com/search?q=gnus+email

Either add the following to your .emacs or evaluate it with C-x C-e, C-j
or whatever is appropriate in the buffer's context:

(setq user-full-name "your name") ;; an arbitrary string works here
(setq user-mail-address user@yourisp.com)  ;; replace with your isp
assigned user name @ isp name

(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.yourisp.com") ;; if this doesn't
work get the correct string from another mail program (i.e. Outlook)
(setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

(load-library "smtpmail")

(setenv "MAILHOST" "mail.isp.com")  ;; or whatever: see above
(setq rmail-primary-inbox-list
    '("user@yourisp.com") rmail-pop-password-required t)
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.isp.com")) ;; or get string from a
mail program known to work. This might not belong in .emacs but in .gnus
or something

(load-library "message")
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

Then try M-x gnus. Something should work. If there is a gnus wizard
following this thread, I have a question too:

How can I use one email address for mail and one for news, using gnus for
both?

Ed.