Re: Gnus redownloading headers on entry.

From: François-Denis Gonthier
Subject: Re: Gnus redownloading headers on entry.
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:31:58 -0400

    Reiner> On Thu, Oct 12 2006, François-Denis Gonthier wrote:

    Reiner> Yes, `some' leads to "XOVER 1-HIGH" (HIGH = highest
    Reiner> article number in the group).  I'm not sure if it could be
    Reiner> avoided.

This is what I've noticed later in the day.

    >> I had it set to t, but I still think setting it to some would
    >> not mean he'd download all messages.

    Reiner> Try setting it to a number.  This should lead to "XOVER
    Reiner> 1-N" (N = lowest unread article number minus
    Reiner> gnus-fetch-old-headers), see
    Reiner> `nntp-retrieve-headers-with-xover' for details.

... and this is what I concluded too.  I'm a bit sad this doesn't work
as well as I would like but I can still use A T to see more of the
thread.  Maybe it's juste me still view things as I view them with
KMail.

    Reiner> You don't need Ethereal, simply set
    Reiner> `nntp-retrieve-headers-with-xover' to t and look into the
    Reiner> *nntp-log*" buffer.

I knew such a thing existed, but I know Ethereal more than I Gnus

    Reiner> For me, the slow part is not XOVER, but the following HEAD
    Reiner> commands which are cause by my scoring rules.  These rules
    Reiner> partly score on non-XOVER headers, so Gnus send HEAD for
    Reiner> each article.  If this is the problem, it should disappear
    Reiner> if `gnus-use-scoring' is nil [1].

My scoring rules are not yet complicated enough to slow things down.
I'll consider the patch in some months ;)