Re: A few questions on signing/encrypting emails

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: A few questions on signing/encrypting emails
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 15:01:09 +0900

Sorry for late response.  I missed this article.

> I have few questions:

>         o When signing an email, my private key will be used, right?
>           And I could encrypt an email with just the recipient's pub
>           key. But when I send an encrypted email, I will also be
>           prompted to input passphrase. Does this mean signing is
>           automatically done?

Yes.

(message)Signing and encryption

   By default, when encrypting a message, Gnus will use the
"signencrypt" mode, which means the message is both signed and
encrypted.

>         o What is the simplest way to handle multiple personal keys? I
>           created two keys. One for work and one for anything
>           else. But when I signed an email, only the one indicated by
>           pgg-default-user-id is used.

That's one of the major limitations of PGG.  Even you could set
multiple personal keys by a new variable, you will see that you cannot
supply your passphrase multiple times without gpg-agent.

However, No Gnus (the development version of Gnus) supports that case.
You can set mml2015-signers.

>         o When I try to encrypt an email to a recipient whose pub key
>           is not in my pub-key-ring, I will get an error
>           (wrong-type-argument epg-key-p nil) (full backtrace
>           attached). How to set up gnus to import the pubkey from
>           key-server?

Try adding the following lines to ~/.gnupg/options

auto-key-locate keyserver
keyserver <keyserver>

Anyway, the error message is confusing.  I've changed it more
intuitive.  http://cvs.m17n.org/viewcvs/root/epg/pgg-epg.el?r1=1.28&r2=1.29

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno