Re: Spam configuation and bogofilter

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Spam configuation and bogofilter
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 05:09:29 -0400

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:15:47 -0000 isoboroff@gmail.com wrote:

i> When I mark a spam message in my inbox as spam with M-s, it gets the $
i> mark, and when I exit the group the message is moved to spamgate.  So
i> far, so good.  However, the timestamp on my bogofilter database
i> doesn't change, so I suspect that no training has occurred.

Start with evaluating

(executable-find "bogofilter")

and make sure it returns something valid.

If that's fine, you need to set the spam-process group/topic parameter.
There is a global variable if you don't want to use the group/topic
parameter facility: gnus-spam-process-newsgroups.  I would recommend
using Customize on it at least the first time, so you get the format
right, even if you won't use Customize later.

i> If I go to spamgate, and then leave the group without changing the
i> marks on the moved spam, the messages are moved _again_ to spamgate,
i> and no training occurs.  If I mark them expirable, then the don't get
i> moved, but still no training occurs.

Well, your settings are:

      gnus-spam-newsgroup-contents
      '(("mail.spamgate" gnus-group-spam-classification-spam)
        ("mail.spam.expired" gnus-group-spam-classification-spam))
      gnus-spam-process-destinations '(("mail\\..*" "mail.spamgate"))

so 'unseen' messages in spamgate (which moved messages become) are
marked as spam and moved back into spamgate, just as you specified.  I
would suggest a different workflow:

1) make "spamgate" your split destination when spam is detected, and
keep it as a spam group

2) make "spam.expired" your global spam-process-destination and remove
it from the spam groups

3) give every group the spam-use-bogofilter backend through
gnus-spam-process-newsgroups, and make the spam-process-destination
"spam.expired"

This way, when you mark something as spam, it will be processed and sent
to "spam.expired".  When you visit "spamgate" unseen articles in it will
be marked as spam, and when you exit the group, any articles still
marked as spam will be processed as spam.

I would also put a ham-process rule on "spamgate" to register ham (which
can only be created by your manual command, since all unseen articles
will be spam) with the gnus-ham-process-newsgroups variable, which is
analogous to gnus-spam-process-newsgroups, and move the ham back to your
main mailbox with gnus-ham-process-destinations.

Ted