Re: Changing ispell dictionary

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Re: Changing ispell dictionary
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 20:35:44 +0100

leandro noferini <lnoferin-MANISUDICIE@cybervalley.org> writes:

>> (setq gnus-posting-styles
>>       '(("emacs-liste"
>>       (address "sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch")
>>       (eval (setq ispell-local-dictionary "american")))
>
> [...]
>
> If I try the same I get this error:
>
>    Errore: Expected language "en" but got "it".
>
> What's wrong?

I suppose that you don't have the correct dictionary installed. "it"
is Italian, I believe this to be your default language and probably
the only one you have installed. "en" is an additional dictionary
teaching aspell to understand English. If you are under Debian you
have to install the package "aspell-en" which contains British English
and American.

If you are using ispell you should consider changing to aspell, since
this is the more powerful spell checker (the Emacs code for calling
both programs is identical, AFAIK; it's always
"ispell-local-dictionary" even if aspell is used). Anyway, the
corresponding packages for ispell are ibritish and iamerican under
Debian and probably its offsprings (Ubuntu etc.). I don't know about
other distributions, let alone MS-Windows.

Greetings

Sven