Why won't gnus display certain messages

From: reader
Subject: Why won't gnus display certain messages
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:50:00 -0600

I got a recent email I suspect was generated on a webmail setup.
Gnus displays it in a completely unusable form.   (Included at the
end)

I've been using w3m to display html emails and mostly it has worked ok
but in this case it fails miserably.

>From ~/.gnus
  (setq mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display)
       mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext"))
  (setq mm-text-html-renderer (quote w3m))

I forwarded the message from my linux setup to a machine running
windows XP and forte-agent.   That `agent' displays the message fine.

In gnus there actually is nothing displayed for body.  But viewing the
message with `C-u g' shows these mail and mime headers. I've chopped
out or mangled some headers and all but two lines of what gnus has
displayed for the body.

Can anyone tell from this information why gnus would be unable to
display the body?

  To: reader@newsguy.com
  From: wilson@somewhere.com
  Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 19:40:34 GMT
  Subject: Land on Shawnee-Egypt rd

  ------=_NextPart_e4af4cf4_7979_47c9_91e9_88249be61961

  ------=_NextPart_771a874f_62e4_4eec_8d4a_cd940bc67c6f

  ------=_NextPart_771a874f_62e4_4eec_8d4a_cd940bc67c6f

  SXRzIGRlZmluaXRlbHkgZ29vZCB0byBoZWFyIGZyb20geW91LiZuYnNwOyBJIHdhcyB0YWxraW5n
  IHRvIHNvbWVvbmUgYWJvdXQgeW91IGp1c3QgdGhlIG90aGVyIGRheSBhbmQgc3RhcnRlZCB0byBn
  [...]