Articles marked as old without having seen them

From: Torsten Bronger
Subject: Articles marked as old without having seen them
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:45:33 +0100

Hallöchen!

A couple of weeks ago, I changed my OS and took the chance to update
my CVS version of Emacs/Gnus, too.  Since then, I observe the
following:

Some Usenet articles are marked as old ("O" in the very first
column) although I've never seen them.  Accordingly, there is a dot
in the second column.

This can be reproduced very well, although I haven't yet found out
the pattern of it.  They are not crossposts.  I've never used score
lists.  The probability increases with increasing time of
inactivity: For example, every morning of after having returned from
work I see some articles (almost) lost by this.  When I check for
new articles regularly, however, I seem to be save.

I get my news with a leafnode/fetchnews cron job.  The Gnus agent is
switched off.

Has anybody an idea about the cause of this trouble?

Tschö,
Torsten.

                                      Jabber ID: bronger@jabber.org
                      (See http://ime.webhop.org for ICQ, MSN, etc.)