Re: Articles marked as old without having seen them

From: Torsten Bronger
Subject: Re: Articles marked as old without having seen them
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 14:38:32 +0100

Hallöchen!

Torsten Bronger writes:

> [...]  Since then, I observe the following:
>
> Some Usenet articles are marked as old ("O" in the very first
> column) although I've never seen them.  Accordingly, there is a
> dot in the second column.

I looked at this problem further and found out that the .marks file
contains a ridiculously high number as the upper limit of read
articles.  Couriously enough, the .newsrc is correct.  I resetted
the .marks file, marked all articles as read in Gnus manually, so
that everything seems to be consistent now.  The high numbers my be
remains from the old news spool indices before I changed the OS.

It would be still nice, however, if someone could confirm that
inconsistent .marks and .newsrc files can lead to some articles
wrongly marks as read while others are marked properly.

Tschö,
Torsten.

                                      Jabber ID: bronger@jabber.org
                      (See http://ime.webhop.org for ICQ, MSN, etc.)