Re: learning gnus

From: Joost Diepenmaat
Subject: Re: learning gnus
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 23:21:20 +0100

David Rod <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> writes:

> I believe that there used to be a tutorial about gnus at some website,
> but this is no longer on the web.
>
> There appears to be a huge gap in the book market for gnus because there
> are not any books about gnus ever written.  Such a book would assume
> that another book about an introduction to emacs had already been read.
>
> I know vaguely that setq will change a variable but I really want a
> cookbook because if I start messing around with things I will break
> things without any knowledge about what I am breaking.
>
> Reading the info manual is a 2 week task!
> Thanks for advice.  Will try (blindly).

(setq) and lots of other stuff used in configuring emacs and gnus are
emacs-lisp functions or macros. If you're familar with any lisp variant
translating to and from emacs lisp isn't very hard. If you're not
familiar with lisp, and mainly interested in emacs/gnus,

<http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-lisp-intro/html_mono/emacs-lisp-intro.html>

should get you started. Chapter 1 should tell you almost all you need to
do minimal configuration.

Joost.